Urban Farmer Internship/Randall’s Island Park
Thank you everyone for your Interest: The Position has been filled for 2013
The Randall’s Park Alliance (RIPA) is a nonprofit organization that, in conjunction with City leadership, works to realize the island’s unique potential by developing sports and recreational facilities, restoring its vast natural environment, reclaiming and maintaining parkland, and sponsoring programs for the children of New York City. For more information about RIPA, its mission, and its programs, please visit www.randallsisland.org.
The Learning Garden/Randall’s Island Urban Farm is a 28,000 square foot organic vegetable garden composed of 55 raised beds. The garden includes 11 fruiting shrubs and a rice paddy. We grow a diverse variety of crops including but not limited to corn, asparagus, tomatillos, herbs, and Asian eggplants. In 2012 over 1,800 public school students visited the garden. The Learning Garden is a farm-to table program that focuses on edible education. In 2013 the Urban Farm will expand by 8,000 square feet.
Season: April 1 –October 31, 2013
Hours of work: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm (some weekends and overtime may be required)
Salary: According to experience and qualifications
Reports to: Urban Farmer
- Soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation, planting, and composting
- Works with the Urban Farm to liaison with GrowNYC, the co-sponsoring organization of The Learning Garden, to help coordinate and implement all activities in The Learning Garden. Tasks include preparation of the garden for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and scheduling volunteer and student visits.
- Assists the Urban Farmer with all educational activities in the Learning Garden
- Assists the Urban Farmer with record keeping of harvest yields, disease and pest control efforts
- Writes a blog once a week about The Learning Garden/Urban Farm.
- Assists the Urban Farmer with planting, preparation and maintenance of the urban farm
- Ensures all equipment is secure and well maintained
- Performs duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multi-generational families and in accordance with directed practices and procedures
- If the Urban Farmer is not available on a day a class is scheduled to come to The Learning Garden, the intern should be able to take over the educational portion of the day.
- Set-up and cleanup of materials and site on a daily basis
- Assists with other horticultural activities of the Horticultural Department, which could be helping with volunteer projects, weeding, planting and watering.
- Strong gardening skills, including familiarity with organic seeds and seed propagation
- Demonstrated knowledge of vegetable growing, pests and diseases
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Willing to work in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Team player, creative and organized
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups
- Enthusiastic, work to high standards and ability to take direction
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent attendance
- Some weekends required
- Drug Testing and background checked required prior to employment
- Experience with educational children’s programming
- Drivers license preferred
- Knowledge of composting a plus
- Knowledge of propagation a plus
- Basic carpentry skills a plus
- Course work in introductory biology/ecology or related field
- Experience teaching or working with children (elementary through high school)
- Strong Communication skills
- Strong computer skills, MSWord, Excel
Please email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
No phone calls please.
Randall’s Island Park Alliance. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. Applicants must successfully complete a drug screen and background check prior to hire.